Liverpool Business and IP Centre

© 2019 Jane Elizabeth Lambert: all rights reserved

Jane Lambert

I took the photograph above from the roof of Liverpool Central Library.  The roof space, which commands spectacular views of the city, can be accessed from the fourth floor of the building.  I was in the Library for a meeting with clients who had travelled from North Wales and the Wirral.  Well equipped meeting rooms for workshops, seminars and other meetings can be hired from the Library. As it is close to Lime Street Station mainline and underground stations and several bus stops and car parks, the Central Library is a very convenient location.

There was, however, another reason for my visit.  I had worked very closely with Ruth Grodner, the former patent librarian, and Michael Sandys, a solicitor specializing in intellectual property, to set up an inventors club for Liverpool.  Ruth has now retired and been succeeded by Richard Horrocks. I was very keen to make his acquaintance as I hope to cooperate with him to continue to assist inventors and entrepreneurs in Liverpool.

The Inventors Club met regularly in the Hornby Room of the Library and for many years I chaired its meetings.   We had very many interesting speakers.   I think we offered a useful resource and forum for inventors and entrepreneurs in Liverpool and the surrounding region.  The highpoint was a half-day workshop on protecting IP in China on 14 Sept 2006 which was attended by the Chinese commercial attaché as well as distinguished business leaders. My introductory presentation can still be found on Linkedin Slideshare.   The Library closed for renovations in 2010 and the inventors club was unable to find a permanent new home. Michael very kindly hosted a few meetings in the office of his previous law firm but their capacity was limited.  Numbers dwindled and the club ceased to hold meetings.

When the Library reopened in 2013, it established in its building a Business and Intellectual Property Centre in association with the British Library and the Intellectual Property Office. Readers will see from its website that it has a lot of resources for inventors and entrepreneurs online and onsite.  These are located on the first floor and I had a brief glance at its shelves before I introduced myself to Mr Horrocks. Further information on the Centre is given on this YouTube video

Mr Horrocks very kindly took me down to the canteen on the ground floor and we discussed how we could work together over a cup of tea.  Two possibilities that sprang immediately to mind were my speaking at an event for inventors that the Library plans for the New Year and supplementing the patent clinic in the way that I did in Sheffield on 10 April 2019 (see Sheffield IP Clinics 3 April 2019 IP Yorkshire).  Michael and I have also exchanged emails about further collaboration with each other and with the Library in the last few days.

Anyone wishing to discuss this article or resources for entrepreneurs and inventors in Merseyside generally may call me on 020 7404 5252 during office hours or send me a message through my contact form.

Comments