- North West Ambassador: Greatest contribution to business in the region
- North West Newcomer: Best new business initiative.
- North West Pride: Most meaningful philanthropic initiative by a business, organisation or leader
- North West Innovator: Most creative product, idea or original business thinking
- North West Exporter: Recognising outstanding success in international markets
- North West Manufacturer: The company leading the way in this critical sector.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony at the Midland Hotel on 26 April 2012.
The nominations for the "North West Newcomer" have just been announced (see "Vote Now for Your North West Newcomer" 28 March 2012 The Business Desk). Interestingly, two of the three finalists are specialist food and drink businesses but one is a new pharmaceutical company.
The candidate that would get this blog's vote is Redx Pharma. According to its website:
"Redx Pharma is a UK-based company developing new drug candidates using the broad-based potential of its innovative Redox Switch™ platform.
Our novel, validated approach allows Redx Pharma to progress new drug development programs with lower risk and greater speed to clinical trials."
Apparently the Redox Switch platform is a method of developing new products by preparing compounds that are structurally similar to existing ones. Apparently, this approach approach reduces time and costs and of course risk. Redx is apparently developing new cardiovascular, influenza, antibiotics and neuropathic pain products.
The other candidates are also interesting. Goody Good Stuff is a confectioner with a range of natural gummy candy made without the use of gelatin. Charbrew is a specialist merchant which was started by a young graduate from Newcastle University.
I congratulate all the nominees and wish them all the best of luck.